How to Make Your Small Outdoor Space Look Bigger!
Don’t you just love spending as much time as possible outdoors once the weather warms up?
It’s so wonderful to soak up the sunshine and relax outdoors this time of year and enjoy the fact that winter is behind us!
Today I’m dishing about outdoor spaces – and some design tips and tricks on how to make them look bigger!
Even if you have a tiny patio or deck – you can make them look more spacious with my 5 outdoor design tips.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
1. Add Tall Planters
To make a small space look bigger a design trick is to draw the eye upward.
Do this by adding one or two tall planters filled with flowering annuals or perennials.
Add a small cedar tree, miniature ornamental tree, boxwood or tropical plant if you prefer greenery over blooms.
Or fill a tall planter with faux outdoor trees like this beautiful faux outdoor cedar tree, stems and faux floral sprays if you don’t have green thumb.
There are gorgeous realistic faux plants and flowers available here!
2. Small-Scale Furniture
Large outdoor furniture pieces can make a small outdoor space feel even more tiny and look awkward.
Design tip: Look for condo /apartment size outdoor furniture for smaller scale furniture ideas.
Make sure you allow for traffic flow too!
3. Add Outdoor Curtains
Once again use the design trick of drawing the eye up, by hanging outdoor weather-resistant drapes.
This will distract from the small footprint of your outdoor space.
Look for drapes made with Sunbrella fabric, which is durable, UV resistant and weather proof.
Use the curtains to create an entertaining or conversation zone on your porch or backyard area.
Hang them from outdoor curtain rods – black rods are a classic style.
White outdoor drapes or a black and white awning stripe are timeless looks.
4. Add a Mirror
Hanging an outdoor mirror in your gazebo or on your home’s exterior will reflect sunlight to make your outdoor space feel larger.
To mount an outdoor mirror use these outdoor Command Hooks!
5. Hang String Lights Or Battery Operated Chandeliers
They add a huge pop of beauty and style to any outdoor space!
The beautiful nighttime glow will make a small outdoor area appear more cozy and relaxing.
Outdoor lighting also helps to define a conversation or dining area.
Here are some more ideas to Make Your Small Outdoor Space Look Bigger:
More Gardening and Design Ideas:
- How to Create A Beautiful Pergola Dining Area – Furniture, Rug, Lighting & Decorating Ideas
- How to Make Outdoor Waterproof Cushions – DIY Hack
- DIY Restoration Hardware Dupe Outdoor Dining Table
- Gorgeous DIY Potting Bench with Sink and Hose Reel
- The BIG Mistakes You’re Making Choosing A Roof Shingle Color
- Beautiful Patio Makeover Ideas with Walmart!
- Landscaping Around A Lamp Post
- Outdoor Patio Ideas, Patio Furniture and Backyard Decor
- 6 Small Space Landscaping Plants
- How To Grow A Cut Flower Garden
- 5 Ways to Decorate With Fiddle Leaf Fig Trees & Best Faux Options!
- How to: Clean Resin Wicker Furniture In 3 Steps
- How to Make an Adirondack Chair
- 10 Summer Backyard Party Recipes
- DIY plant pots with numbers
- The Easiest Way To Divide Hostas & Transplanting Tips
- 10 beautiful DIY plant pots
- How to add curb appeal with plants