Turn Kids Art Into DIY Tea Towels

Do you have piles of artwork that your kiddos have brought home from school, daycare or made at home?  Want another way to display their artwork other than hanging it on the fridge or framing it?

Here’s a fantastic way to display your kids art in a space we spend a lot of the time; the kitchen!  So turn your kid’s art into DIY tea towels: your kiddos will feel so special and proud to see their drawings on display.

This would also be an excellent gift idea for grandparents, aunts, uncles and teachers!  Birthdays, Christmas or ‘just because’!

Fun Home Decor Idea and Kids Craft- Turn Kids Art into Tea Towels:

Turn Kid's art into tea towels! Fun DIY to do with the kids and great gift idea!

This is a great way to repurpose a regular white tea towel!!

Turn Kid's Art into Tea Towel tutorial

…and a fun home decor idea!

Kid's craft activity - tea towel decor idea

Can you imagine your child’s surprise and delight when they see this?  They will love that you gave their artwork a permanent place in the kitchen for everyone to see everyday!  My son was very flattered and thought it was very ‘cool’!

Kids creations - DIY tea towel
Great gift idea! Make DIY tea towel from Kids Art!
 DIY Kids Art Tea Towel tutorial

First start with a picture your child has drawn:  This is the perfect kids art activity!

Below is the picture I used for this project; our youngest boy, R, drew this picture of our family when he was 9 years old.  This picture just makes me smile every time I look at it and now I can have it in my kitchen too!  Isn’t he a terrific artist?  ( He’s really been enjoying reading the comments on this post so say hello to R if you can!)

Turn Kids art activities into fun tea towels

Look at all the love arrows we have going on here, and the cheery sun with sunglasses!  (apparently I have a verrry long torso and tiny short legs!!  Even that makes me smile!)

DIY kids art tea towel

Supplies:

- 1 white high quality natural fabric towel like this tea towel.

- 1 permanent marker

- Your children’s artwork

Kids Art Tea Towel DIY

See more!

Comments

1. Becca says

This is so cute Heather! Such an adorable idea! I never would have thought of it- but I can think of a million people who would love to receive it as a gift! Great job!
    How have you been? Did you have a good holiday weekend?
    xo Becca

2. Catrin says

Oh! These are darling. It’s such a cute way to appreciate your kid’s artwork. Thanks for sharing this.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

3. Karla says

Oh my gosh! This is adorable. What a great way to keep your child’s art work. I need to remember this for when I have kids. Great Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

4. Becca says

I just saw you’re featured at Tip Junkie’s top 10 today! Congrats- this project is so unique- it deserves to be spotlighted! Great job, girl!
    xo Becca

5. Heather says

Hervin02, Trisha and Jessicakays: I responded to your questions however just realized that you are ‘no reply bloggers’ which means that when you email a blogger, unfortunately they can’t email you back….due to this issue my replies to your questions did not get delivered to you. You can fix this by adjusting your Blogger profile settings. Hope that helps!

I will post the answers to your questions here in the hopes that you can get the info: The sharpie is a permanent marker, so the graphic will be permanent…the graphic on my towels do not disappear or bleed out in the wash. I wash mine in cold water and hang to dry since they dry so quickly there is no need to dry them in the dryer! Good luck!

6. Heather says

Correction: When a person COMMENTS on a post and they are a ‘no reply blogger’ this means that the blogger that received the comment can’t reply to it….

7. Rebecca Fraser says

Cant wait to try this. It’s so cute. I wish I had saved old pics that my niece drew for me, I have all her old coloring pages, just none like this. But I will find something to try this with! :)

• Heather says

So glad you like this Rebecca!! Send me a pic of it when you are finished – I would love to see how your version turns out! I love mine and my son is so proud that his art is now in our kitchen!

• Heather says

It really would HanoverGirl! Both the parents and the kiddos would enjoy seeing their art in the kitchen! You are so lucky to have 10 grandchildren!!!!

8. copelandnation says

I have kept some artwork thru the years of my kids. Now they are married. I am going to do this for my daughters in law of their hubbys childhood art. I am thinking of embroidering it as well. Thanks for the idea. How does the permanen marker do in the wash?

• Heather says

Great idea!! Your daughters in law will love that – how sentimental! The permanent marker holds up really well when washed. I have washed mine many times and it still looks great! Send me a picture of your version, I would love to see how it turns out!

• Heather says

The permanent marker holds up really well when washed. I have washed mine many times and it still looks great! No bleeding at all. I purchased the flour sack towels at Wallmart – but have also seen them at Target…hope this info helps!

• Heather SettingforFour says

So glad you like this tute Natalie! Have fun making them! I did and smile every time I see them in my kitchen! I will pass on your sweet compliments to my son ‘the artist’!! Thanks for dropping by my blog! Heather :)

9. Margo says

Very cute. However, I got plain undies for my son and I drew things that he liked on them with Sharpies to make potty training more fun, and they really faded in the wash. Has this happened for you?? I don’t want to spend a lot of time tracing if it’s just going to fade and look bad.

• Heather SettingforFour says

Margo, that’s too bad that your profect faded! That’s a fun ida to add drawings to your son’s underwear for potty training! My towels just lightened ever so slightly on the first wash and are virtually the same as when I first made them…

10. Roelofs says

Cute idea! Sharpie is not archival, which means that over time, you will get a yellow halo around your marker lines. I would suggest trying an archival marker, or maybe a fabric marker instead of a standard sharpie if you want your towel to last for a long time.

11. Patti K says

I just found the Christmas Gift I will do with our 10 year old niece when she visits this Thanksgiving Weekend….Her and I do Christmas Gifts for others in her family….She will love doing this, as she loves to draw and share her drawings with others….Thanks so much for sharing this….Patti

12. Rose Family says

Do you mean laying the artwork under the towel and tracing it that way? Is the towel thin enough that you can see through it? Sorry, I am trying to figure out the whole “tracing” thing too. :)

13. :D says

Hi Heather,

This is an adorable idea–but what I am REALLY in love with is that yellow and grey patterned fabric! Can you tell me what it is, where it’s from?

cheers!
    Deirdre

14. Gallegos Newsletter says

I just found your blog today through Pinterest….I love this idea and I think i would like to try and make some for my mom (great-grandma) and my daughter….My grandson Xavier loves to draw and I think this will make a really fun gift that we can update every year for Valentines Day….

15. Amy Nordgren-Ditz says

Thanks for sharing this idea! My daughter and I just made some this weekend for Mother’s Day gifts. We even used a few colored sharpie markers on a few .. BTW the grandma’s loved them!! ;)

16. LisaRBellski says

Heather, what a great project and I’m loving the artsy one very much! Re: your comment about your apparent long torso and short legs, actually if you picture where your waist is in the picture, it’s fairly proportionally correct to the rest of the body AND he’s got you all in the latest fashion!!! :). Very impressive! Thanks for the post, I love it!!

17. LisaRBellski says

18. Elena Sullivan says

Hi Heather,
    I am curating a collection of Sharpie projects for Looksisquare(dot)com. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Looksi but it’s a lot like CraftGawker: they display a thumbnail image from your blog along with a short description and a link. Typically you would submit your own images (like you do on CraftGawker) but they also have curators (like myself) who do theme based round ups. I’d like to include this project if you’re okay with that–I’m assuming the permanent marker you used was a Sharpie or at least sharpie-like. I would need to crop out your watermark (similar to CraftGawker) but if people want to see what you did or how you did it, they need to click on the link. Would that be okay with you? Just let me know!
    Thanks!!
    Elena
    acasarella.net

19. Nici @ Posed Perfection says

This is an absolutely darling idea! Your little budding artist is quite talented! I’d love for you to link this up to my new Creative Ways Link Party! Hope to see you there! Have a Happy Mother’s Day!
    Blessings,
    Nici

20. Rachel Kathyg says

stopping by from tidy mom linky (we are onlinesisterhood). These are wonderful tea towel! Pinned.

As requested…”R” if you are still reading the comments….this is a great project AND just in time for mothers day! I have an 8 year old daughter (and a 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son….and we live way down here in the country of Brazil) who will just think this is the funnest project to make for me. Thank you for sharing your art work:) Have a great weekend.