Ombre is a home design trend that I love.
If you aren’t familiar with the term, Ombre refers to a color gradient that progresses from lightest to darkest.
Like you see on a paint chip!
Which is what inspired me to make this DIY Ombre Christmas Ornament!
Update – Check out my Youtube video of this DIY Ombre Ornament tutorial demonstration on my blog here!!:
- Paint chips
- Ornaments (this is a great project to use ornaments that have colors or designs you no longer are in love with, or dollar store ornaments will work perfectly too!)
- 1 inch circle punch
- Silver colored craft paint
- Paint Brush
- Hot glue gun
- Thick Silver thread
- Paint cap of Ornament and around top of ornament with silver colored craft paint. I used some dark blue ornaments I had already, that had gold caps.
- Using a 1 inch circle punch, punch out several circles of each color on the color chip. My paint chips have 5 colors which creates a nice ombre design.
- Take one circle of the darkest color and glue onto the bottom of the ornament.
- Using circles of this same dark color, hot glue them onto ornament, overlapping each circle. Create one band of this color. It will look a bit messy at this point, but don’t worry you will be covering up the hot glue parts!
- Using second darkest color hot glue circles onto ornament overlapping each circle so that the previous layer is somewhat covered. Create one band of this color.
- Continue gluing the circles onto the ornament making one band in each color until the entire ornament is covered.
- Cut an 8 inch long piece of thick silver thread and tie onto ornament to hang.
Hang and enjoy!
I love how the circle shapes create subtle gradations of color from light to dark.
To personalize this ornament for your home use paint chip colors that coordinate with your Christmas décor!
These are so much fun to make and will add a pop of color as well as a fresh look to your space for the holidays.
So now you know how much I love Ombre! What’s your opinion of this design trend?
~ ~ ~ ~
Don't want to miss a post? It's easy to stay in touch with me!:
~ ~ ~ ~
* Thank you SO much for coming by for a visit! I love to hear all of your comments! *
Written by Heather at Setting for Four
Setting for Four is a Design, decor and DIY, lifestyle blog where you will find craft and DIY tutorials, recipes, and family friendly design and decorating ideas that won't break the bank or sacrifice style.
You can find Setting for Four on Google+