In this post I’m sharing a helpful Design Tip: The 60-30-10 Color Rule!
A visually appealing, well ‘designed’ room is based on harmony and balance of color.
A design ‘rule of thumb’ to create a space that flows is to use the 60-30-10 color rule.
This combination of colors creates rooms that are cohesive and visually interesting.
What Is The 60-30-10 Color Rule?
60% of a room can be filled with a dominant color, 30% with a secondary color, and 10% with one or two accent colors.
Why are there three colors in this color rule?
Because too many colors in a room will create a visually ‘loud’ space.
Remember, we are trying to find harmony and balance!
How Do You Use The 60-30-10 Color Rule?
- 60% of the room’s color (dominant color) will be on the walls.
- 30% of the room’s color (secondary color) will be in the rugs, furniture, textiles and upholstery.
- 10% of the room’s color (accent color) will be in the artwork, photo frames other decor accessories.
60-30-10 Color Rule Example
So let’s put this into practice using a beautiful rug for your living room or bedroom as inspiration: this beautiful grey, greige, blue and beige area rug.
1) Start by choosing your wall color. This will be your dominant color – it will make up 60% of your room.
Let’s choose the light greige color in the rug for the wall color:
2) Next choose a secondary color which will make up 30% of the room.
Let’s use the dark charcoal grey color that’s in the rug!
Use this dark charcoal grey color for your living room sofa:
3) The last color choice is the accent color which will make up 10% of the room.
Let’s choose the gorgeous blue color in the rug for pillows and accessories!
That’s how you use the 60-30-10 color rule to create a cohesive living room color plan!
60 % light grey, 30 % charcoal grey, 10 % blue.
Of course you could apply this to other color combinations too using your favorite accent color like blush, navy, black or green!
What do you think of this design rule of thumb? Do you find it helpful?
** You can also check out my Design Tip: How to Pick the Perfect Chandelier Size and Printable Size Guide **
More Design and Decor Ideas:
- Top 50 Bestselling Paint Colors At Sherwin Williams
- Agreeable Gray Undertones & Coordinating Colors
- Online Decorating Services & Color Advice
- How to Pick Paint Colors With Confidence!
- Color Of The Year 2021 Sherwin Williams Urbane Bronze SW 7048
- 5 Ways To Create A Whole Home Paint Color Scheme
- Lake House Bedroom Paint Color Ideas, Furniture &; Decor Ideas
- How to Paint Tile – In 3 Easy Steps!
- How To Arrange Furniture In A Small Living Room
- How to Mix Design Styles So They Don’t Clash!