Every fall I get the urge to pull out my knitting needles!
There is nothing like the feel of soft lustrous yarn in my hands! I love to create all types of knitted scarves and throws…but my favorite thing to knit is a quick and easy pretty Cup Cozy!
I drink a LOT of coffee and this is the perfect way to cover up those boring coffee cup containers.
I found the perfect shade of gray yarn last week and made this DIY Extra Soft Cup Cozy embellished with my grandmother’s vintage brooch for a bit of bling!
This is a great project to use inexpensive vintage or thrifted jewellery that you can find at estate sales, antique stores or thrift shops. There are so many different looks you can give this sweet cup cozy!
1 ball (100 grams) of Martha Stewart Crafts Extra Soft Wool Blend Yarn: Color 550 Gray Pearl (I bought mine at Michaels)
This wool-acrylic blend yarn by Martha Stewart Crafts is fabulous to work with! As someone who has created a lot of hand knit items I have to say it slips easily around my fingers as well as the needles and doesn’t snag at all, making it easy and quick to knit with. This silky soft yarn not only comes in a variety of pretty colors but it’s also machine washable! Bonus!
Double pointed knitting needles: size US 6 (4.00 mm)
(You can find double pointed needles size US 6 here: Knitter's Pride Dreamz Double Pointed 6-inch (15cm) Knitting Needles; Size US 6 (4.0mm) Fuchsia Fan)
1. Cast on 36 stitches.
Place the 36 stitches on the 4 double pointed needles so that each needle has an equal number of stitches on it.
2. Being careful not to twist stitches, join ends to work ‘in the round’.
3. Next, knit 1 round and purl 1 round.
4. Change to stocking stitch (knit every round) and knit until Cup Cozy sleeve measure 1 1/4 inches from the beginning.
5. Shape Sleeve: Knit 1, Make 1 [knit 9, Make 1] 3 times, knit 8 for 40 stitches.
6. Work even until sleeve measures 2 1/4 inches from the beginning.
7. Increase Round: Knit 1, Make 1 [knit 10, Make 1] 3 times, knit 9 for 44 stitches.
8. Knit until sleeve measures 3 inches from the beginning.
9. Purl 1 round.
10. Bind off all stitches loosely knit wise.
11. Cut end of yarn. Using embroidery needle weave yarn ends into back of cup cozy.
12. Add a favourite new or heirloom brooch to your cup cozy to give it some beautiful bling!
I love, love, love wrapping my fingers around this extra soft cup cozy!
….and to be honest, this darling vintage rhinestone brooch adds a little bit of glam style to my day!
~ ~ What girl doesn’t love that? ~ ~
See my other DIY Knitted Cup Cozy Projects!
Your baby or kiddo will love this – what a great baby shower gift!
~ ~ ~ ~
Have you just discovered Setting for Four?
If so, I’d love for you to follow me by email so you never miss an update! Click below!
* Thank you SO much for coming by for a visit! I love to hear all of your comments! *
Written by Heather at Setting for Four
Setting for Four is a home design, décor and lifestyle blog. Focus is on home renovations, crafts, DIYs, tutorials, recipes, as well as family friendly design and decorating ideas that won't break the bank or sacrifice style.
You can find Setting for Four on Google+