- First wash and dry your tote bag according to the instructions.
- Lay the tote on a flat surface and insert a piece of wax paper or cardboard inside the tote to keep the paint from transfering to the other side.
- Using painters tape create the design as shown in the photo. This is super easy to do – I just eyeballed where to start and stop the ends of the tape, no measuring is required, but you can if you want to!
- Press all the edges of the tape down firmly with your fingers or a credit card.
- Mix Fabric Painting Medium with gold paint according to the directions. The Fabric medium makes the gold acrylic permanent and allows your tote to be washable.
- Paint one coat of the Gold Paint onto the tote. One coat is all you need!
- Remove the painters tape while the paint is still wet, and let the paint dry.
- To make the design permanent, heat set the gold paint by placing a cloth over dry painted area. Do not iron directly on the paint. Use a temperature setting appropriate for the particular fabric and heat set for 20-30 seconds per section. Heat set reverse side in the same manner.
- Turn tote inside out and wash on gently cycle using mild unscented detergent.
That’s it – now go out and strut that stylish tote!
Make a few of these totes for holiday gifts, teacher gifts, birthday gifts…or how about as a gift bag to place the gift in? Double gifting!
…and these tote bags would also be a great Halloween trick or treat bag idea!
I hope you enjoyed my DIY Graphic Tote bag tutorial today!
~ ~ ~
…and my Gold DIY Projects!