This delicious recipe is perfect for fall, winter and as a starter for Thanksgiving!
If you’re not familiar with leeks – they are vegetables that look like oversize green onions… and if you have never cooked with them you will be in for a yummy surprise at how delicious they are!
Especially when cooked in a bit of butter, simmered with potatoes and chicken broth and served with a dollop of sour cream. Mmmmm!
So what the heck are Leeks you may be asking??? Leeks belong to the same family as onions and have a mild onion-like taste, but have a very subtle flavor. But unlike onions, they don’t make your eyes tear when you cut them or cook with them!
To serve: garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt and top with pumpkin seeds.
Food Processor – this one is recommended #1 by Americas Test Kitchen!
White Soup Bowls – I love these beautiful white, stackable porcelain bowls
Pumpkin shaped stoneware soup bowls with lids – perfect for Thanksgiving and fall!
Homemade Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large leeks cleaned and chopped
- 4 potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- pumpkin seeds to garnish
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add leeks.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until leeks are tender.
- Add potatoes and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken broth.
- Over high heat continue cooking until soup is boiling.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In food processor or blender, puree 2/3rd of the soup.
- Stir the puree into the rest of the soup.
- Add a dollop of sour cream and pumpkin seeds to garnish if desired.
Setting for Four