I have a special guest today sharing a super fun and easy DIY T Shirt Pom Pom Ornament made from upcycled T shirts! Say hello to Mary Beth!
Hi everyone! I’m Mary Beth from Cupcakes and Crinoline and I am absolutely thrilled to be here today guest posting for my dear friend, Heather. I wanted to share something with you that would be easy to make and cute!
I absolutely love to wrap gifts and while bows and ribbon are nice sometimes you just want something a little crafty that can be reused. In this case, I created a pom pom made from old t-shirts that my boys had grown out of. You can use the pom pom as a gift topper and then the recipient can hang it on their Christmas tree so they always remember you!
Old t-shirts in colors of your choice ~ since this is a Christmas pom pom I chose white, red and green
Baker’s twine, ribbon or string
1. Cut your t-shirts from side-to-side in 1/2 inch strip. The red and green t-shirts had side seems and designs on the front so for these I just cut a piece from the backs to cut into the 1/2 inch strips.
2. Cut a piece of sturdy cardboard 3 inches wide by 5 inches long.
3. Once your t-shirts are all cut into strips pull them through your hand to curl them slightly. The strips will bend over themselves forming hollow tubes.
4. Wrap the strips around the cardboard. I wrapped the red first, then the green then the white. This gives the pom pom a bit of a pattern concentrating the color at the core.
5. Once everything is wrapped tie a piece of twine tightly around the center on one side and slip the strips off of the cardboard.
6. Now tie everything together through the center very tightly.
7. Cut the edges of any strips that were all one piece and cut the other pieces so that everything is approximately the same length. I found that I wanted a smaller pom pom so I continued to cut just a little at a time until it was the size and shape I wanted.
8. Add another piece of twine or ribbon to the center so that your pom pom can be used as an ornament and attach to your package.
That’s all there is to it! It is a bit time consuming but it is such a fun little touch to add to your holiday gifts. You could make several of these a night while watching television or just enjoying an evening on the couch.
If you are a Christmas decor lover like me I also recently did a post about Bleaching Pine Cones that you may like as well.
Thanks Mary Beth for sharing this fun DIY T shirt Pom Pom ornament!
For more holiday DIY’s check out my 25 + Holiday DIY Gift ideas: