This easy DIY abstract art is an easy craft for kids! Make wall art from a canvas, paint, Mod Podge and paper – so fun for kids!
My son is quite a little artist….you’ve seen some of his artwork before…..in this Turn Kids Art into Tea Towels DIY and this DIY Thanksgiving Towel from Kids Art. He loves to draw and paint and hopes to be an architect one day!
We put our heads together and came up with the idea to create a ‘Bokeh’ photography effect for this piece of DIY art!
Multicolored ‘Bokeh’ circles were created in this abstract DIY art that’s easy to make with your kids!
If you’ve never heard of Bokeh photography, Bokeh is the blurring of an image when photographed in an out-of-focus way. It’s a very cool and interesting technique.
The beauty of Mod Podge Washout is that it’s the same great formula as Mod Podge Gloss but washes out of clothing and furniture with soap and water, even when dry. It’s completely machine washable with no pre-soak needed….so this is great for Mom’s and teachers!
– Scrapbook Paper : I used a glossy white linen-like textured paper
– Using a clean pie plate, or piece of Styrofoam, pour out small amounts of each color of Apple Barrel paint.
– Paint entire canvas yellow ‘Banana’ color (or whichever color your child likes!)
– Dip foam pouncer into a second color and dab on plate.
– Place pouncer onto canvas creating random circles of paint.
– Select next color and with a clean pouncer repeat until the canvas is covered with colored circles – giving a bokeh effect!
– Let dry.
– With 1 inch circle punch, punch out several circles from scrapbook paper.
– Glue them onto canvas using Mod Podge Washout.
– Add a whitewash topcoat to entire canvas using white acrylic paint diluted with a bit of water.
– Let dry and hang your art!
Doesn’t it look like Bokeh photography? Sort of???? I do!
I propped our DIY Bokeh Art Canvas on a table next to a stack of books, a Johnathan Adler vase and candle votives.
What do you think? Didn’t my little artist do a great job?
Check out Wall Art – 20 Ways to Mod Podge a Canvas
~ ~ ~ ~
Here are 37 other fun Mod Podge Crafts for Kids projects by some very creative bloggers:
Have fun spring crafting!!