DIY Beaded Sunburst Mirror

Do you love Sunburst Mirrors as much as I do?

I repurposed a ceiling medallion and made my own:

DIY Beaded Sunburst Mirror!

Home Decor - DIY Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four #mirror #sunburst #diy #craft #home #bead #tutorial

Make a Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four #diy #tutorial #craft #mirror #sunburst

Home Decor Tutorial - DIY Beaded Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

I am totally in love with it!

Here’s the tutorial….

Supplies:

Make a Sunburst Mirror from a Ceiling Medallion from Setting for Four

Make a Sunburst Mirror using Scrapbook Paper from Setting for Four

Supplies to make a Sunburst mirror from Setting for Four

1 x 12 inch wooden ring – Michaels
1 x 5 inch round mirror – Michaels
2 x Crystal beaded bracelet, smokey grey color – Michaels
1 pack of 14mm Aqua Shell Beads – Michaels
1 x 10 inch Westinghouse ceiling medallion – Home Depot
2 sheets of Scrapbook Paper:  ‘My Minds Eye, 29th Street Market’, each sheet features two coordinating patterns (this is the same paper I used to make my DIY Coasters) – Michaels
Hot glue gun
Scissors
1 Sheet white computer paper
Pencil
1 Command Hook or a nail to hang the mirror

Tutorial:

With the white computer paper make two templates for your sunburst rays.  Make one large and one small.  I just eyeballed the width and shape I wanted.  The large one is 4 inches long and the small one is 3 inches long.

Template for Rays of DIY Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

Cut out each template.

Using the templates, trace onto the scrapbook paper several large and small rays.  Just trace around the outside edge of each template.  Use both the back and front of the scrapbook paper to alternate the colors.  Cut out each sunburst ray. ( I made 20 large rays and 20 small rays).  Fold each paper ray lengthwise to give each ray some dimension so they do not lay flat.  You can see what I mean in the pic below and in the first pic in this post.   Lay each one around the ceiling medallion, in the manner you like, alternating small ones with the large ones, so you get an idea of how many to make.

How to make a Sunburst Mirrror from a Ceiling Medallion from Setting for Four

How to make a Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

With hot glue, attach each paper ray to the wooden ring so the bottom of the ray is close to the inner edge of the wooden ring.  Sorry I don’t have a picture of this….my camera battery died and I had to recharge it then kept working on the project!  I attached the rays so that all the small paper rays were laying on top and all the large rays were laying underneath the small sized rays, like this.

Tutorial for Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

Attach the ceiling medallion with hot glue so that it is centered onto your ring of paper rays.

Attach mirror with hot glue onto the ceiling medallion so that it is centered too.

Cut the end of the elastic cord that is holding the crystal beads onto the bracelets.  Remove all the crystals from the bracelet.  Restring the crystals by reusing the elastic cord that is used in the bracelet. See below.  Add as many crystals as is required to go around the outer edge of your mirror.  I used 73 crystals.  Tie the elastic cord in a tight knot and cut the ends.  Gently pull one bead over the knot so that it is hidden.
Attach string of  crystal beads, using hot glue, around outside of mirror.  You do not need to glue down every bead…I glued the strand down in about 7 places.

Beads used to make DIY Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

Cut the strands of aqua shell beads to separate the beads, as above.  Attach individual beads with hot glue around outer edge of crystals.  I used 34 shell beads.  I had to overlap slightly the last 2 beads to make them fit, but don’t think it really shows too much.

Tutorial for DIY Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

Attach a command strip to the back of the wooden ring and hang the mirror (or use a nail and hang the mirror with one of the holes in the wooden ring- to hang off the nail)

That’s it you are done!  This was so fun to make!!!

I love how it sparkles and the beautiful blue color of the paper.
(This would be a great Mother’s Day gift too!)

Tutorial for DIY Sunburst Mirror from Setting for Four

Enjoy your one-of-a-kind DIY sunburst mirror!!

Home Decor - DIY Sunburst Mirror Tutorial from Setting for Four

Do you like this version of a Sunburst Mirror?

See my DIY Project and Tutorial Gallery for more DIY Inspiration!

~ ~ ~ ~

Click here to follow Setting for Four on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/settingforfour/

Have you just discovered Setting for Four?

If so, I’d love for you to follow me by email so you never miss an update!  Click below!

Or follow along with me here !:
Find Me On Facebook Follow Me On Pinterest Follow Me On Twitter Follow Me On Google+ Follow me on StumbleUpon Follow me on InstagramFollow me on HometalkRss Feed OptionsFind me on LinkedIn
~ ~ ~ ~

* Thank you SO much for coming by for a visit! I love to hear all of your comments! *

Heather

Written by Heather at Setting for Four

Setting for Four is a home design, décor and lifestyle blog. Focus is on home renovations, crafts, DIYs, tutorials, recipes, as well as family friendly design and decorating ideas that won’t break the bank or sacrifice style.

You can find Setting for Four on

~ ~ ~ ~

Sharing here:

Celebrating Everyday Life

DIY_recycled

~ ~ ~ ~

Heather

Written by Heather at Setting for Four

You can find Setting for Four on

Comments

• Vanessa Dawne says

I totally agree Heather! I’ve seen so many wood ones but this gorgeous sunburst beats them all. Beautiful creativity. Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. I think I might put up a sunburst now after all. :-)
      dawnedesign.net

1. Lauren says

Stopping by from Between Naps on the Porch. Amazing craft! I love how you can customize this to your color scheme so easily. Hope you’ll stop by my blog, I’m you’re newest follower!

2. Budget Design Girl says

Ok, that is without a doubt, the CUTEST starburst mirror that I have yet to see!!! Here via BNOTP. Now I am following you for sure! Keep up the inspiring projects! The rest of us need something to shoot for! ;-)
    Have a great week!
    xo-Lisa

3. Johanson Family says

I wish I had this kind of imagination for making things in my home!! Beautiful!! Great job! I am now following you & looking forward to getting to know you here and on facebook :)

4. Maureen Hayes says

This is one of the prettiest sunburst mirrors I have ever seen. Thanks for the great tutorial as well, I actually think I could make one because you explained it so well! Another post I will be bookmarking to make!

Thanks!

5. VintageMauve.com says

This turned out amazing! I adore the bead detail you did around the mirror. So very thought out.

Thanks so much for linking up to Mauvin’ Monday, and I’m so happy you are my new follower! I’ve been following your site for a while now. :-)

Yay for new blog friends!

6. diana says

This is really stunning! Definitely looks like it came from a magazine and that you had to pay an arm and a leg for it. Thanks for sharing! I came over from Catch a Glimpse. :)

7. Kathleen says

That mirror is too fabulous! Using the scrapbook paper makes the possibilities endless. This was a great tutorial.
    Kathleen, I’m your newest follower. :)

8. Sarah Jenkins says

This is so chic looking! Thanks so much for sharing this project at Naptime Delights! I hope to see you again tomorrow!

Sarah
    {www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

9. Its So Very Cheri says

I love your mirror. I have been planning a medallion mirror for a while. (I need a clone to get everything done.) I love the paper sunburst–so pretty.

I am featuring you at Its So Very Cheri on July 12th.

xo,
    Cheri

• Heather says

Thanks Amy for your sweet coments! I would love to see how your version turns out! Send me a pic of yours when you are finished and I will post it on facebook! So glad you like it – I am really enjoying mine!

10. LiveLoveDIY says

Stopping by the blog today, Heather! I just love what you do! This is such a smart idea! Love that you used scrapbook paper! Genius! Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week, sweet friend! xo

11. Nicole says

Saw this on pinterest. I agree with the others-not been a huge fan of sunburst mirrors, but yours turned out so beautiful! Well done! I just might need to make one of these now!

12. goldberie says

Thank you so much for sharing this. I love, love, love it! I just made one for my son and his girlfriend. I appreciated your detailed instructions and materials list. My beads and papers are different, but in the same gorgeous teal colors. What an awesome Christmas present. Thanks again for sharing your creative genius!

13. RosieW says

Heather, Totally enchanted with this. I’m considering doing this using Mod Podge on the scrapbook to give it some protection. What do you think? Things tend to get really dusty in my house because I leave windows and doors open as weather permits.

Rosie

14. Brooklyn at Cook and Craft Me Crazy says

I’m going to add my comment to the million others you have – this is INCREDIBLE! Thank you so much for sharing! I thought the paper was metal and never thought I could do something like this! This is TOTALLY going on my list to make soon! Thanks for the AMAZING inspiration!
    xo-Brook

• heather says

Thanks so much for featuring my mirror Amanda! That’s so exciting that your readers liked it!!

15. MK says

I was inspired by your idea here to create a starburst mirror of my own and wanted to give credit where credit is due. Mine will end up looking nothing like your classy version and its still in the preliminary stages but when I posted my pics to my Facebook page, I included the link to yours. I’ll be sure to do the same when I post my finished project to my own blog. Thank you for taking the time to write this tutorial and sharing it with us.

Trackbacks