DIY Pillow – Ballard Designs Knockoff

Hello All!

I just finished making two new pillows for our spare room.  I love the colours in this antiqued damask: taupe, gray, latte & mustard.

DIY Pillow Ballard Designs Knockoff from Setting for Four #diy #tutorial #ballard #pillow #scandicci #gray #knockoff #decor #design

Pin It

This is a quick and easy DIY envelope style pillow cover; no zipper and only 4 hems to sew!  I love envelope pillow covers because they are easy to remove for cleaning too.

I purchased this gorgeous Kravet Design remnant from Hancock Fabrics a couple of months ago.  It was on clearance for $4 (for two yards)!

It’s exactly like this Scandicci Gray Fabric at Ballard Designs.

Ballard Designs is selling this for a whopping $32 a yard!

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric – Kravet Design
Thread
Scissors
Straight pins
Measuring tape/metal yardstick
Pillow forms

Tutorial for Envelope Style Pillow Covers:

Wash, dry and iron fabric according to the care instructions that come with the fabric.

Lay fabric on a flat surface where you can spread it out (I laid my fabric down on our living room carpet).

Using scissors, cut one of the long edges of the fabric using the metal yardstick as a guide to ‘straighten’ the edge.  When it gets cut at the fabric store, it often isn’t cut straight.  Straightening the edge will allow you to measure your other cuts more easily.

Using these instructions for The Five Minute Pillow, determine what the width and length of the fabric should be to fit your pillow:

Measure the width of the pillow form and add 2 inches. Measure the length of the pillow form, double and add 8 inches.  I used a 20 x 20 inch pillow form so my measurements were width = 22 inches and length = 48 inches.

Cut the fabric to the width needed (I cut  the fabric so it was 22 inches wide) using the measuring tape as a guide.

Cut the fabric to the length needed (I cut the fabric so that it was 48 inches long) using the measuring tape again.

Fold one short end of the fabric over 1 inch and iron flat.  Fold it over again 1 inch and iron flat.  Stitch.  This is a double 1 inch hem.  Repeat this on the other end of the fabric.

Using the instructions for the Five Minute Pillow sew the other two sides to create an envelope back.

Turn fabric right side out and insert pillow form, working it into the corners.  Bring the top flap over the pillow form to completely cover the pillow.

You’re done!!

I’m so happy with how this DIY turned out!

~ ~ ~ ~

Click here to follow Setting for Four on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/settingforfour/

Have you just discovered Setting for Four?

If so, I’d love for you to follow me by email so you never miss an update!  Click below!

Or follow along with me here !:

Find Me On Facebook Follow Me On Pinterest Follow Me On Twitter Follow Me On Google+ Follow me on StumbleUpon Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Hometalk Rss Feed Options Find me on LinkedIn

~ ~ ~ ~

* Thank you SO much for coming by for a visit! I love to hear all of your comments! *

Heather

Written by Heather at Setting for Four

Setting for Four is a home design, décor and lifestyle blog. Focus is on home renovations, crafts, DIYs, tutorials, recipes, as well as family friendly design and decorating ideas that won’t break the bank or sacrifice style.

You can find Setting for Four on

Update!  So excited to let you know that this project has been featured at:

shelterhub images      19-thumb

Linking to these fabulous parties here.

Link Party Websites

{M}* Between Naps On The Porch * Thrifty Decor ChickSkip To My LouHome Stories A to Z * 3 Mango Seeds * How to nest for less * Ivy and Elephants * Inspired By FelicityCherished BlissToday’s Creative Blog * Kampen Lane * Salt Tree * Naptime Delights *

{T}  * Night Owl CraftingCoastal Charm * My Uncommon Slice Of SuburbiaMommy By Day Crafter by Night * Tip Junkie * Trophy Wife *
Measured By The Heart * Blue Cricket DesignOur Delightful Home * Savvy Southern Style * A Bowl Full of Lemons * The DIY Dreamer * Organize an Decorate Everything * Cheap Crafty Mama * Carolyn’s Homework * The Winthrop Chronicles * Sew Much Ado * Cedar Hill Ranch * Primitive and Proper * Delicate Construction * Creations By Kara *

{W}  * Blue Cricket Design  * Fireflies and Jellybeans * Shabby Creek Cottage * Beyond the Picket Fence *   Bear Rabbit Bear *   Home Happy Home * Someday craftsFireflies and Jellybeans * The 36th Avenue * Gingersnap Crafts   * Newlyweds * Savvy Southern Style * Night Owl Crafting * Grits and Giggles * 733 blog * Embracing Change * Family Home and Life * DIY by Design *

{TH}* Delightful Order* A Glimpse Inside  *  The Crafty Blogstalker * Made In a Day  * Somewhat Simple* A Little Knick Knack* House of Hepworth’s
 * Chic on a Shoestring * 52 Mantels * The Taylor House * Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons * Whipperberry * Blissful and Domestic * Pinkapotamus * Delicate Construction * Little Becky Homecky *

{F}*  French Country CottageAt the Picket Fence * Serenity Now * The Shabby Nest * Tatertots and Jello * Chic On A Shoestring Decorating *
Nutmeg Place * Lolly Jane Boutique * Too Much Time * Addicted 2 Decorating * The Grant Life * The Rooster and The Hen * Classy Clutter * Craft Envy * Thirty Handmade Days * Delicate Construction * Young and Crafty * Embracing Change *

{Sat}*
Be Different Act Normal * Nifty Thrifty Things * I heart naptime * The Sweet Talk Shop * Funky Junk InteriorsTwigg StudiosA Rosie Sweet Home * Its Overflowing * Heatherly Loves * Positively Splendid * The Gingerbread Blog * Candace Creations *

{Sun}* DIY Showoff * The girl creative * Under the Table and Dreaming – By Stephanie Lynn * My 1929 Charmer Blog * Embellishing Life Everyday * Alderberry Hill *
Homemaker On A Dime * Delectable Home * Everything Under The MoonAddicted to Recipes * Vintage Mauve * Vintage Mauve * Le Chateau Des Fleurs * Southern Hospitality *

Tip Junkie handmade projects

Comments

1. says

So glad you stopped by so I could find you! Welcome to the world of blogging!

Since I can’t even sew a button, I truly appreciate this pillow! What a fab deal on the fabric too and it’s gorgeous! New GFC & Linky follower.
    Kelly

2. says

Hi Heather! I am glad you found me!! Thank you for joining my Made U look linky party! Love the pillow, nice job, I saw a comforter set at HomeGoods this week in a similar pattern. I also have a Blog Hop going on now as well, I would love it if you would join it as well and make some new friends and followers! I am your newest follower…
    ps. I’m kinda new too…
    Kim@madeinaday

3. says

I’m here via Hookin Up With House of Hepworth’s link party. I love your pillow. Projects like this are getting me inspired to learn how to sew. What a beautiful job. Newest linky follower here! Hope you can swing by my blog one day. :)

4. says

I love the colors in that damask, it really tones down the regal affect the pattern can have sometimes. Visiting from Delightful Order!
    -Jazmine
    Keepitkrafty.blogspot.com

• says

Thanks Jazmine! I agree that damask can sometimes look over the top – this fabric is antiqued and muted and like you said ‘toned down’. It also has a big pattern repeat which I really love. Just visited your blog – I am your newest follower :)

• says

Thanks for the sweet comments Jen! Yes, the colours are gorgeous and muted, it goes really well with my sofa color too. I love fabrics like these with big pattern repeats!

• says

Thanks for following me Linda! When I saw the fabric at the store I just loved it right away, when I saw the name Kravet – I jumped on it! I didn’t even know that Ballard carried it until after. I wish I had more of it, I have a bench that it would look great on too.

• says

Thanks Nadir! I know! I can’t believe how inexpensive it was – but I think it’s a ‘second’ and priced so cheaply because the print doesn’t run absolutely straight across. But for pillows….you can’t even tell.

5. says

Thanks for visiting my blog, leaving such a nice comment and becoming a follower. I am now following you as well. Your pillow turned out beautiful. I love the envelope style pillow covers. I am due to make some new ones for our living room. Have a Great Day!

6. says

oooo love this!! Thanks for the tutorial… I want to make some pillows and having even started looking at how to do a envelope pillow yet. Awesome find on the fabric! I’m your newest follower :) Have a fab weekend!
    Stay Crafty x0x0
    Jess
    {www.CraftyNonsenseNoted.com}

• says

Hi Jess! Hope my tutorial helps along with the one I linked to in my post. When you first make one – you may think that its folded really weird, but when you flip everything right side out – it all makes sense. Good luck on making your pillows – so many beautiful fabrics out there, its hard to choose one :) Thank you for following me! I am off to check out your blog too!

• says

I appreciate your kind comments on my pillow! The print really stopped me in my tracks at the fabric store. I have a bit left – need to figure out what to do with it! Have a great day!

• says

You should learn to sew – go for it!! I am not a great sewer, but you don’t need to be a professional to make things for your home. I took a 3 hour class at a local fabric store a few years ago and learned the basics…it was so helpful. Thanks for visiting my blog and becomming a follower :)

7. says

Hi Heather,

This is a beautiful pillow (one of my favourite colour combos) and a great tutorial. Made even better by the crazy deal that you got on the fabric! Thanks so much for checking out my new blog and becoming a follower!

Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

8. says

Love the pillow, I was scrolling through your blog and saw the pillow and was so impressed. I am your newest follower and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a message; and for following me.

9. says

stopping by from the made in a day linkup! Love envelope pillows, my favorite to make. Yours looks fab, so inexpensive and looks the same as $50 pillows, love it :)

10. says

These are gorgeous pillows – I’ve seen that fabric before and always loved it. Great tutorial too! Just came over from the My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia blog hop :)

11. says

I LOVE the pillows. The fabric is to die for, and HELLO! can we say deal. That might be one of the best bargains of the year 2 yards of kravet for $4 is absolutely insane. Also, wanted to tell you that great minds must think alike because I have the same target throw on our sofa. I bought it on black friday. I’m so glad you stopped by our “castle” today, now we can be bloggy buddies!